I encourage you to join a professional organization.
Professional organizations offer liability and many offer legal protection if your rights are violated. I believe we all work to make your lives better by striving to improve salaries and working conditions. We provide the voice of the professional educator just as the Bar Association does for lawyers and the American Medical Association does for doctors.
But we at Red River United do much more. For example, we are the only organization with full-time staff right here in Caddo/Bossier, no 1-800 numbers. We are the only organization who represents teachers and school employees, and no administrators. We have attorneys on retainer right here in Caddo/Bossier to assist with your legal needs.
We know how to provide you the services for observations and evaluations. We are here to assist you with rebuttals and grievances. We are with you when your rights are violated at every level. And the list goes on and on. Most of all, we know that when you need help, you need it right now, and we are here, right here; right now.
By joining Red River United you become a part of a vibrant professional community. We are YOUR local and vocal advocate in the classroom and community. Red River United is about voice, dignity, and respect for ALL school employees in Caddo, Bossier, and Red River Parishes. We are proud to be the largest professional organization in Louisiana.
School year after school year, there are many challenges. We want to be here to help you so that you will not become one of the 30% who leave within the first three years or the 50% who leave within the first five. We can help with your instructional, disciplinary, or any other concern. We have the staff to assist you. Please call, email, or Live Chat with us on our website. I end this by saying there is a fable from Madagascar that says that when you cross a river full of crocodiles, you should do it in a crowd.
By the way, the benefit and discount package members receive EXCEEDS the cost of dues, not to mention that professional dues are 100% tax deductible. It’s like writing yourself a check each month!
Please join the Red River United family. Here our TOP 10 LIST of reasons (although it’s hard to just choose ten) to join Red River United:
- Member driven and active organization. We are about participation and empowerment in the schools and community.
- Strong full-time president & full-time staff dedicated to your school. You never have to dial a 1-800 number in order to ask a question or receive assistance.
- Local office that is always ready to take your call
- $2 Million Professional Liability Insurance $2,000,000 Personal Injury Charges + $1,000,000 Failure to Educate + $250,000 Defense Costs for Denial of Constitutional Rights + $35,000 Defense Costs for Exonerated Criminal Charges + $10,000 Assault Death Benefit + $25,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance + Much more.
- Top rated representation to resolve job related problems, assist with rebuttals, and handle grievances.
- In-house attorney for legal representation to protect you and your job (assistance with criminal and civil cases), plus a legal defense fund.
- Effective lobbying at the Louisiana State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE), the State Capital (LFT), and in the U.S. Congress (AFT). We craft bills directly based on conversations with our members.
- Representation at Parish School Board meetings. You will always have a vocal advocate.
- Locally negotiated benefits, Roadside Assistance (2 free tows up to 25 miles), Identity Theft Protection, Union Plus Benefits Program, and much, much more!
- Educational and Support Specialist who offer support through professional learning classes and one-on-one tutoring (FREE).
It takes a few quick minutes to join Red River United via our online form.
The 2016-2017 dues* schedule – Beginning September 1, 2016.
*Note: Dues are continuous and set by the membership in accordance with the Constitution. (RRU Constitution Article IV Dues & Fees; CFT/SP Constitution Article XI Revenues; and BFT/SE Constitution Article XI Finance)
Certified/Teacher $50.00/month for 12 months
Classified/Paraprofessional & School Related Personnel (PSRP) $25.00/month for 12 months
Substitutes/Temps/Student Teachers/ISS Facilitators $12.50/month for 12 months
Dues may be deducted via payroll deduction OR personal bank draft from checking or savings. The deduction will typically occur the day after you receive your paycheck. For Bossier and Red River Parishes this will be a once per month deduction, for Caddo Parish this will be a twice per month deduction (dues split evenly between the two pay cycles UNLESS you prefer to have your dues deducted one time per month).
Sign up for Disability Coverage through Giles Consulting (Colonial Life).
- Individual and portable policies (not tied to the school board)
- Group coverage discount
- No preexisting conditions
NOTIFICATION OF DISCONTINUED RED RIVER UNITED BENEFITS
If you desire to withdraw your membership from Red River United it is our policy to receive this revocation in writing and to notify you of your discontinued benefits. There is a specific form at the Red River United office that requires a wet signature. Please note the following:
- It is the individual member’s responsibility to contact the school board payroll department if your dues are processed through payroll deduction in order to cancel your membership.
- It is the individual member’s responsibility to contact your financial institution if your dues are processed through ACH in order to cancel your membership.
- It is the individual member’s responsibility to contact any applicable 3rd party benefit provider. Any benefits processed by Red River United, inclusive but not limited to disability coverage, will no longer paid and RRU is not responsible for a lapse in individual policies and/or cancelation of group benefits.